Ghostbusting Report

Ghostbusting Report
Residence of M. & G. Hage
Red Hook, NY

October 16, 2013

The residence of my friends M & G, in a beautiful part of upstate New York, had been the site of a particularly virulent Native American battle in the 1750s, one that left eleven ghosts on the site.

During a stay at this lovely second home, I’d noticed a very, very deep quietude enveloping the land and house, deep enough that an acorn falling in the night woods startled my partner out of a sound sleep.  While taking a walk, the chirping of grasshoppers and soft cawing of birds accompanied us as soon as we left the property, and we observed that re-entering the site dampened, then eliminated their merry song.

A couple of weeks after performing some geomantic healing of residual battle energy on the land, I turned to healing the spirit population.  Closing my office door, I lit a couple of candles and connected with various helper spirits.  Gently I requested the Native American spirits from the site join in.  A deep quiet came over my office, notable in this city that never sleeps.  Even my cat, always near me and irrepressibly vocal, echoed the shift by leaving the room, only to perch outside, staring at the door. 

I sensed a line of individuals off to my right, waiting in patient stillness.  I asked the first to approach, and immediately glimpsed a possible explanation for the high numbers of spirits still tending this land.  The individual who approached me first was a one year-old girl.  The second to approach was a twelve year-old girl.  Might not these eleven gentle souls, hearts and minds stung by the fighting that had just ended their own lives, been stopped in their otherworldly sojourns by the sight of these innocents slain by the same dire battle? 

All who approached me after these two were older, mostly male, in their late teens and twenties.

The stillness grew as I slowly released healing essences to each soul in the line, blessing them and indicating they were free to undertake the next leg of their journey.  Eventually I came to the last spirit of the eleven.  I saw him more clearly in my mind’s eye than any of the others.  He was round of face and hair, with broad shoulders and strong limbs.  A feeling of quiet strength emanated from him, and I realized that even in his nether world, he’d protected and served the others by taking the last position, a man who cared deeply and quietly, doing all he could for his people even now.


After the departure of the last of my guests, the silence still reigned as I slowly disengaged from this sweet process.  I felt a sense of gratitude that I can experience something so moving and nourishing while helping others, wherever they might be.